[Mpi3-rma] RMA proposal

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 23 12:51:39 CST 2010

All,

I've created a new RMA proposal
(http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji/tmp/rma/rma-1.4.pdf) and would like to
initiate some discussion on it.

The general idea is similar to the lock/unlock primitives in MPI-2.2,
but the main difference is that it decouples synchronization of requests
from lock/unlock itself. I've added some discussion items at places
where there is no clear answer one way or the other. There are some
examples in the end to give you a feel of how it can be used.

In order to not confuse with the semantics of MPI-2.2, I've forked off a
new concept called "Portals" which is similar to "Windows". We can
either keep it as a separate chapter (or sub-chapter within RMA); or we
can decide to merge it back into the concept of "Windows" as a new
synchronization primitive. Names and syntax are always open to change.

Look forward to your comments.

Thanks,

 -- Pavan

--