[Mpi3-rma] Strict vs. relaxed RMA in MPI

Krishnan, Manojkumar manoj at pnl.gov
Mon Aug 2 09:11:01 CDT 2010

Brad,

I would prefer things would be more on the relaxed side due to potential performance benefits, unless someone has an argument against it. For example, put followed by fence could be a round trip and therefore expensive, when compared to simple put where the cost is more like initiating the data transfer (and the source buffer safe to reuse).

In ARMCI, the model is relaxed, however it could be made strict by enforcing fence after put/acc operations.

-Manoj.
Manojkumar Krishnan | High Performance Computing | (509) 372-4206
http://hpc.pnl.gov/people/manoj