[Mpi3-rma] non-contiguous support in RMA & one-sided pack/unpack (?)

Underwood, Keith D keith.d.underwood at intel.com
Wed Sep 16 16:29:55 CDT 2009

Do you really think it is just a couple of ifs?  If this is not MPI_COMM_WORLD... if this is a derived datatype but not contiguous locally... if this is a derived datatype but not contiguous remotely... if these are not the same datatypes... if this is not heterogeneous...

You also get into the trade-offs (that we obviously have to make even with two routines as well)... so, should contiguous derived datatypes be fast or slow?  Well, obviously the NIC based agent can handle them if you do the math in the MPI library, but that math takes instructions.   One of the things that was put on the table in Chicago was "should we have specialized functions for each native datatype?"

Ultimately, it is all about what your performance targets are in terms of latency and issue rate.  On one end of the spectrum, you have MPI_Isend().  On the other you have the speed of a native processor store.  Which end of the spectrum do we want to be on?  If we want broader penetration for RMA, we need to move toward the latter.  So, yeah, "a handful of ifs" may be an issue... Particularly on any architecture where a given thread isn't all that speedy...

Keith