[Mpi3-rma] non-contiguous support in RMA & one-sided pack/unpack (?)

Underwood, Keith D keith.d.underwood at intel.com
Wed Sep 16 15:14:23 CDT 2009

But we have to be very careful here.  We don’t want to overly constrain what can be thought of as “fast”.  For example, I think it is perfectly reasonable to implement accumulate on a NIC.  Just because it doesn’t exist today doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be part of the “fast” MPI call.

Now, datatype conversion… it is nominally possible that a NIC could do datatype conversion – just like it is nominally possible to for a NIC to be hooked to a Rube Goldberg device to implement MPI_Make_Breakfast ;-)

Anyway, the point is that we need to be forward looking in defining “fast” and “slow”, not backward looking.

Keith