[Mpi3-rma] non-contiguous support in RMA & one-sided pack/unpack (?)

Richard Treumann treumann at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 16 09:00:55 CDT 2009

1) MPI is implemented as a library. There is no connection between the
analysis the compiler can do and the MPI implementation so what can be
"known" by the compiler cannot be communicated to the implementation.

2) There is no requirement in MPI that all tasks of an application run the
same executable so even if one piece of source code that will be used in an
application is free of complex datatypes, only the human being who knows if
other pieces of code will be used by some tasks can make the judgement that
there will be no calls with complex datatypes by any participating task.

           Dick

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

mpi3-rma-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org wrote on 09/16/2009 09:37:04 AM:

<snip>

> As an application developer, it would be good to have both available
> but with some way to distinguish between these variants since in every
> case I can think of, it will be known at compile-time whether or not
> the data is contiguous.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

<snip>