[Mpi3-rma] draft of a proposal for RMA interfaces

Howard Pritchard howardp at cray.com
Thu Oct 16 15:28:30 CDT 2008

Hello Rich,

I meant to respond earlier to Vinod's proposal, sorry for the delay.

First a minor correction in section 5.1. I think the prhase:

/the GET transfers from the caller memory(origin) to the target memory;
PUT transfer data from the target memory to the caller memory/

near the beginning of section.

I think overall the proposal looks interesting. I am somewhat confused
by the MPI_Req_set_attr and MPI_Req_get_attr and how they are suppose
to be used.

The main item that is missing seems to be a method for signaling completion
of an rma operation at a remote process. Is the assumption that if this
was required,
the remote process would spin wait on a volatile? This would seem to
introduce
other problems - like how to 'emulate' this functionality using
point-to-point
protocols. I believe that any new rma proposal needs to have semantics
such that
one could base a correct, if low performance, implementation using
point-to-point
communication protocols.

Howard