[Mpi3-rma] draft of a proposal for RMA interfaces

Richard Graham rlgraham at ornl.gov
Thu Oct 16 09:35:56 CDT 2008

Just to get discussion going again.  Talking with several folks I have heard
several concerns expressed about the proposal.  I think it would be good if
these (and others) could be raised on the list, so we can start discussion.
We can continue this next week in Chicago, but Vinod will not be able to
make this meeting, so an e-mail discussion will help.

Here are the issues I have hear of so far:
  - May not work well on current h/w that is not cache coherent, as it
requires a remote thread in this case.  I believe this is for the SX series
of machines, but Jesper please correct me if I am wrong here.  What would be
an alternative approach that could provide expected performance on platforms
that may require work on the remote end for RMA for correctness, and work
well on platforms that do require very specific remote cache management (or
other actions) for correctness ?
  - Concern about future high-end platforms, under that assumption that
these will not be cache coherent (and will actually have caches ­ if they
don¹t this is not a concern), and therefore this proposal is aimed at a
short-lived technical capability.
  - What is missing ?

Rich