[Mpi3-rma] MPI RMW operations

Howard Pritchard howardp at cray.com
Tue Mar 25 10:14:45 CDT 2008

Hello Brian,

That was the idea.

The problem as we saw it is that in non-mpi shared memory
applications, atomic memory operations are typically used for lightweight
synchronization.  Having to always use potentially heavyweight lock/unlock
sequences seems to defeat the purpose of adding rmw operations to the
mpi specification.

This is a special case of the more general discussion that we should
have about global visibility of rma operations, etc.

Howard