[mpiwg-persistence] Freeing collective requests

Anthony Skjellum skjellum at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 15:04:06 CST 2017

Dan, thanks for doing all this hard work.

I agree will read the whole proposal, and the document is a diff against
MPI 3.1, so we will not be hiding anything from the baseline :-)

I will review this weekend, but I am going to announce the reading now.

Thanks,
Tony

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM, HOLMES Daniel <d.holmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have added a clarification to the point-to-point chapter (where
> MPI_REQUEST_FREE is defined) to state that collective requests must not be
> freed while they are active.
>
> I have pushed these changes to Github and produced a new PDF of the MPI
> Standard (attached to comments on both the issue and the pull request).
> I have added a comment in Github (on both the issue and the pull request)
> summarising the current thinking regarding “collective free” semantics and
> “block until really deallocated” semantics.
>
> Useful links:
> https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/issues/25
> https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-standard/pull/29
> https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-standard/files/1483740/mpi32-report.pdf
>
> I think this means we are ready for the next face-to-face MPI Forum
> meeting.
>
> We made quite a few small changes since the version announced for the last
> meeting. We should re-read the whole proposal, rather than try to get away
> with a “no no vote” followed by a 1st vote.
>
> If there are other tasks to complete before we announce our reading
> (deadline Monday 20th Nov), please let me know by replying to this email
> list ASAP.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan.

Anthony Skjellum, PhD