[mpiwg-p2p] FP16 16-bit-floating-point

Bader, Reinhold Reinhold.Bader at lrz.de
Fri Jun 16 07:31:03 CDT 2017

Hello Rolf,

to the best of my knowledge, the answers are as follows:

Q1: Not in the sense of having an explicit name like the REAL32, REAL64, REAL128 names for specific integer kinds that were added to Fortran 2008.
        However, it is left free to implementors to create a new kind number in the implementation that could be returned by SELECTED_REAL_KIND() and,
         if IEEE conforming, by IEEE_SELECTED_REAL_KIND() and consequently all relevant IEEE support routines.

Q2: REAL*2 is (like REAL*8) a non-conforming notation (REAL*8 is supported as an extension by many implementations), so the answer is no.
        A proper declaration might look like

        integer, parameter :: rk = selected_real_kind(2,6)    ! at least 2 decimal digits and 6 maximal decimal exponent - hope I have this right ...
        real(KIND=rk) :: x

       with the following caveats:
      * the KIND that fits the requirement most closely will be used, so it might be necessary to use the STORAGE_SIZE intrinsic to check what one gets.
      * KIND numbers are non-portable, so might vary for one and the same kind between implementations (at least one compiler I know deviates from all others I know).

I checked three of the compilers I know: they currently do not support FP16.

Regards
Reinhold