[mpiwg-p2p] Message matching for tools

Daniel Holmes dholmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 09:50:31 CST 2015

Hi Marc-Andre,

The mpi_assert_allow_overtaking INFO key essentially makes *all* send
operations that have identical matching criteria logically concurrent
and *all* receive operations that have overlapping matching criteria
logically concurrent, irrespective of which thread issued them. So,
using the INFO key can be seen as a special case of handling the full
MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE case.

In the existing MPI Standard, any program that relies on the tool being
able to recover the particular matching order that actually happened
from a set of possible matching orders that all satisfy the MPI
definitions (for example by relying on the tool using some externally
imposed mechanism, such as piggy-backed sequence numbers) is relying on
a particular sequentialisation of a race-condition between logically
concurrent MPI messages, which is specifically called out as being an
erroneous program.

 From MPI Forum's point-of-view, therefore, any behaviour in this
situation is allowed, including setting the data-centre on fire, and our
work here is done.

 From a tool's perspective, however, the existence and consequences of
this situation should be discovered and presented to the user so that
they can fix their erroneous program. This could be done by recognising
when multiple send operations are logically concurrent and when multiple
receive operations are logically concurrent. If two send operations are
issued with the same matching criteria but by different threads then
these will be logically concurrent (edit: unless an MPI synchronisation
point exists such that the two cannot conflict). The same is true of
receive operations.

The existence of this situation could be recorded during measurement (at
the cost of searching the entire trace so far for the OS process (edit:
since the last MPI synchronisation point) each time a new send or
receive is issued). Alternatively, the existence of this situation could
be discovered by examination of the trace during post-processing or
analysis.

The consequences of this situation could be presented to the user by
showing all possible matching orders, as indicated by the information in
the trace concerning which messages were logically concurrent during the
actual run of the application. The tool would not be able to tell the
user which matching order actually occurred during the measurement run
but it would be able to identify that there was a race-condition,
display all the possible outcomes, and simulate the effects of each
possible route through the program.

Does this make sense and is this sufficient?

Cheers,
Dan.

Dan Holmes
Applications Consultant in HPC Research
EPCC, The University of Edinburgh
James Clerk Maxwell Building
The Kings Buildings
Peter Guthrie Tait Road
Edinburgh
EH9 3FD
T: +44(0)131 651 3465
E: dholmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk

*Please consider the environment before printing this email.*