[Mpiwg-large-counts] DRAFT: Chapter Committees ACTION NEEDED

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Dec 17 16:06:38 CST 2019

Dan --

Good points; many thanks.

On Dec 17, 2019, at 1:31 PM, HOLMES Daniel <d.holmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk<mailto:d.holmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk>> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

The (potential) new “Partitioned Communication” chapter should be included in the Google spreadsheet, without a chapter number, between chapters 7 and 8 (its most likely insertion position). FYI - Ryan is Chair of that (speculative) Chapter Committee.

First set wording - fine.

Second set wording - there are two purposes for this part of the review
1) does compiling the non-Embiggened(tm) version of the Pythonised source render the document sufficiently similarly to the document rendered by compiling the pre-Embiggening(tm) version of the pure-Latex source?
2) does compiling the post-Embiggening(tm) version of the Pythonised source render the document in a manner consistent with the application of the rules/expectations, i.e. in accordance with the text changes read (rejected via no-no-vote veto) at the ABQ meeting?

Both of the purposes motivating the review of the second set are important and should be completed before the T-2 deadline for the next face-to-face meeting (at the latest). This permits a full reading of all components for The Embiggening(tm), including all the new bindings, to happen at the Portland meeting with the blessing (hopefully) of all of the chapter committees (except George's, I guess). This resets the MPI voting procedure clock, but it can happen concurrently with bringing forward additional no-no votes (one for the text changes, another for the bindings) and a 1st vote for the hopefully-amended-by-no-no-votes BigCount ticket. When one or both of the no-no votes fail(s), we can pull the 1st vote and rely on the reading instead. The Jun meeting will see either a 2nd vote (unlikely) or a 1st vote (more likely). The Jun meeting is also the point at which MartinS announces a release candidate that targets MPI-4.0 at SC20 (or doesn’t delaying it, e.g. until ISC21).

Style - sufficiently lurid, except I suggest that the red deadline text should be embiggened.

Cheers,
Dan.
—
Dr Daniel Holmes PhD
Architect (HPC Research)
d.holmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk<mailto:d.holmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk>
Phone: +44 (0) 131 651 3465
Mobile: +44 (0) 7940 524 088
Address: Room 2.09, Bayes Centre, 47 Potterrow, Central Area, Edinburgh, EH8 9BT
—
—