[Mpiwg-large-counts] Puri: embiggening instructions

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Sat Dec 7 21:50:24 CST 2019

Puri --

Per our discussion earlier this week, you're going to embiggen the collective chapter so that we can show it in ABQ this week.

Here's what you need to know:

1. Clone Martin's fork: https://github.com/martinruefenacht/mpi-standard
2. Check out the feat-modern-lang-bindings branch
3. Edit the collective .tex:
   3a. Per the embiggening text and https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13X_4moTKxIHB0YJI-bBlJ5V3bF2WywB1DfOOvSzH8Cc/edit#slide=id.g7ab83fcc56_0_0, selectively embiggen arguments
   3b. You embiggen types by changing the 2nd arg to parameter() to a "POLY" type.  Here's the POLY types that we have defined:
       - POLYDISPLACEMENT
       - POLYDTYPE_NUM_ELEM -- used in the datatype chapter; we might need to revisit this one...?
       - POLYNUM_BYTES -- ditto (datatype chap/might need to revisit)
       - POLYXFER_NUM_ELEM

I'm guessing you'll use POLYDISPLACEMENT and/or POLYXFER_NUM_ELEM.  I used POLYXFER_NUM_ELEM in the pt2pt chapter (e.g., for MPI_SEND and MPI_RECV and friends).

If you need old POLY types, let us know.

-----

You can "make 4cleandoc" at the top level to make an mpi-report.pdf in the MPI-4 / embiggened style.  For any function with POLY types, you should see a 2nd "_l" C binding, and 2 x MPIF08 bindings (with no "_l" suffix).

"make 3cleandoc" (or just "make cleandoc") will make mph-report.pdf in the MPI-3 / not-embiggened style.

You can do the same thing in the chapter directory, but you'll need to edit Makefile.chap and change

RENDER_MODE = 3.1

RENDER_MODE = 4.0

Then you can

cd chap-coll
make

To make just the collectives chapter PDF (coll.pdf).  It's probably a LOT quicker than building the entire cleandoc.

In case you need it, wiki for the regular Pythonizing directions (which doesn't really say anything about Embiggening yet) is here: https://github.com/mpiwg-large-count/large-count-issues/wiki/pythonizing

jsquyres at cisco.com