[mpiwg-hybridpm] Meeting Tomorrow

Holmes, Daniel John daniel.john.holmes at intel.com
Tue May 9 09:41:12 CDT 2023

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I am double-booked for tomorrow's HACC WG time slot - so my answer to the implied question below is "not yet".

The "logically concurrent isn't" issue #117 is now accepted and merged into MPI-4.1 (take a moment to celebrate!) - but it just says "here be dragons".

Do we care enough to defeat those dragons?

Argument FOR: as systems become more heterogeneous, an MPI process is likely to abstractly "contain" more semi-independent HW units that will want to communicate with other MPI processes, which will result in lots of logically concurrent MPI communication operations - exactly the territory in which these dragons live.

Argument AGAINST: we've been throwing brave warriors into this particular dragon fire for about a decade and we've only now convinced ourselves that the dragons do, in fact, exist. How many more volunteers do we have and do they have sufficiently pointy sticks?

Best wishes,
Dan.