[mpiwg-hybridpm] Hybrid/Accelerator WG Meeting

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 09:07:44 CST 2021

Unfortunately, CPU callbacks are not a perfect solution on their own. CUDA
does not allow CUDA calls from within CPU callbacks, so for example you
would not be able to launch data packing kernels or peer-to-peer copy
operations from within the callback. However, you can use CPU callbacks to
signal a thread in the MPI runtime to process the operation. Another option
in this design space is to use CUDA memops (e.g. cuStreamWriteValue64 or
cuStreamWaitValue64) to coordinate between CUDA streams and MPI
communication helper threads. Because memops are processed from within the
GPU control processor that manages stream execution, I would expect these
to have lower overheads than CPU callbacks (although I haven't measured
this).

 ~Jim.