[mpiwg-hybridpm] First draft of Continuations section

Joseph Schuchart schuchart at icl.utk.edu
Wed Aug 4 11:36:44 CDT 2021

Dear all,

I have written and attached a first draft of the continuations section
that I would like to discuss in one of the upcoming meetings. Right now
it is embedded at the end Section 3 (Point-to-Point following test and
wait etc) where I felt it would fit well, I'm open to other suggestions
though.

There are still some open TODOs that I'd like to discuss. In particular,
I'm grappling with the handling of statuses. As suggested during
previous discussions, I removed the flag argument to MPI_Continue such
that the MPI implementation is allowed to invoke the continuations
directly (can be controlled through an info key though). That means that
after the call to MPI_Continue there is no good reason to inspect the
statuses anymore. However, we may still want the user to provide the
status object(s) in order to avoid exposing implementation-internal
memory in the callback. But then I am worried that this is a source of
error, with users providing pointers to stack memory that goes out of
scope before the continuation is invoked.

Also, I am unsure whether and how this whole mechanism works with
Fortran. The python generator happily generates the interface but I have
no idea whether that is correct...

Looking forward to discussing this on the call!

Cheers
Joseph