[mpiwg-hybridpm] Hybrid telecon fiasco

Daniel Holmes dholmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 06:16:58 CDT 2014

I agree with Jeff that consistent use of well-defined terminology is
paramount for understanding and acceptance of this new concept.
In particular, the ambiguity in meaning of the term process between OS
process and MPI process in the spec is not helpful, especially when
there is a 1-to-many relationship between them.

However, as we're splitting hairs, I have to disagree with Jeff's statement:
> With this proposal, MPI processes are a proper subset of MPI endpoints.
This is like saying "cars are a proper subset of wheels". Which wheel is
the car and which ones are not?
Could Jim's statement go one step further, i.e. in the proposal we are
saying "everywhere that you see 'process' in the spec, replace it with
'endpoint' (some of which are MPI processes and some of which are not)"?
Which endpoint is the MPI process and which ones are not?

Every MPI process will contain at least one endpoint. Every endpoint is
represented in an MPI process as a 2-tuple of communicator and rank.
Actually, there will be at least two endpoints in every MPI process (one
from MPI_COMM_WORLD and one from MPI_COMM_SELF). New endpoints can be
created by creating new communicators, e.g. with MPI_COMM_DUP. This
proposal provides a way to create multiple endpoints for the same
communicator in the same MPI process.

Cheers,
Dan.

--
Dan Holmes
Applications Consultant in HPC Research
E: dholmes at epcc.ed.ac.uk

*Please consider the environment before printing this email.*

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.