[Mpi3-hybridpm] Endpoints Proposal

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 20 10:17:08 CDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 10:11 AM US Central Time, Sur, Sayantan wrote:
>> The motivation is not to have multiple threads to drive the
>> network.  You are right; this can also be done with processes
>> (probably not as effectively, but that's besides the point).
>
> This seems to be Jeff's primary motivation based on his responses to
> the list.

I think Jeff is pointing out what he'd like to see, not what's there in
the proposal.  Please don't confuse the two.

>> There are several motivations for endpoints.  One of them is to
>> share resources between "MPI ranks".  The MPI implementation can
>> already do this for memory resources (through MPI-3 shared memory
>> or through internal shared memory).  However, endpoints provides a
>> more flexible model for sharing even more resources (such as TLB
>> space).
>
> This is again mixing optimization with functionality. It is possible
> to share TLB with MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE. I agree that N/W performance
> with MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE might not be stellar since there is shared
> state that gets touched. But looking at the current proposal, not
> sure if this is made any better.

You can share TLB space with current MPI+threads, of course.  The point
is to share it across "MPI processes" (or MPI ranks).  That way, in many
environments (such as UPC) applications or libraries can continue
functioning as earlier without much disruption.

> It is listed on Slide 7 that Threads make progress on their "process"
> and on attached endpoints. Am I reading that right?

Put another way -- each thread makes progress on all its ranks.

>> Another motivation (probably a bigger one) is to interact with
>> models that use threads internally.  The UPC example was shown in
>> the Forum. For a UPC implementation that uses threads internally
>> (or a hybrid of processes and threads), currently there's no way
>> for those applications to use MPI, since they cannot portably know
>> whether UPC is using processes or threads internally.  The example
>> we showed demonstrates how the UPC implementation can allow
>> applications to work correctly.
>
> Correct. I agree that the EP approach is providing this interop.
> However, I am not convinced that it is the only possible approach. I
> will think about it more and let you know if I find another
> approach.

If there are other ways to get this functionality, we could certainly
pursue it.  The simpler the solution, the better.

 -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji