[Mpi3-hybridpm] Reminder for the hybrid telecon tomorrow

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Apr 19 13:11:07 CDT 2013

Points to think about for the Monday teleconf...

With regards to ref-counted MPI_INIT / MPI_FINALIZE (https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/302):

PROBLEMS IT SOLVES:
- multiple, separate libraries in a single process needing access to MPI
  ==> works best when all entities call MPI_INIT* at the beginning of time, work for a "long" period of time, and then call MPI_FINALIZE at the end of time (i.e., there's no race condition -- see below)

PROBLEMS IT DOES NOT SOLVE:
- Implementation not providing MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE support (e.g., if the separate libraries are in different threads and someone already initialized MPI with THREAD_SINGLE, other threads can't know if it's safe to call MPI_INIT* or not)
- The "finalize" problem (i.e., can't guarantee to know if MPI has been finalized or not -- there's a race between calling MPI_FINALIZED, seeing that MPI is not finalized, and then calling MPI_INIT)

PROBLEMS IT CREATES:
- Will need to change the definition of "main thread"
- Possibly also need to change the definitions of MPI_THREAD_SERIALIZED and MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED

OPEN QUESTIONS:
- Do we still need to keep the restriction that the thread that initializes MPI is the same thread that finalizes MPI?
- Should we allow re-initialization?  This effectively solves some (but not all) of the problems that have been discussed, but probably opens a new can of worms...