[Mpi3-hybridpm] new text for MPI_INIT/MPI_FINALIZE

Marc Snir snir at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 6 23:16:58 CST 2012

On Feb 2, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Darius Buntinas wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> Page 317, line 18:  Can we change that to:
> "Each MPI process must call an MPI initialization routine, MPI_INIT or MPI_INIT_THREAD, exactly once."
> The way it's currently written seems a little awkward to me.

OK

> P318 L7:  I know you're not changing the current meaning, but that sentence seems to mean that processes must call MPI_FINALIZE if it calls MPI_ABORT.  I suspect the idea is that a program that calls MPI_ABORT does not "exit" but rather "aborts," but the way it's written appears contradictory to me.  Can we change that to:
> "Unless there has been a call to MPI_ABORT, before each process exits, the process must call MPI_FINALIZE.  Each process must ensure that all pending nonblocking communications are (locally) complete before calling MPI_FINALIZE."
A program that calls ABORT does not terminate normally. The requirement to call FINALIZE is only for normal termination.

> P320, L1:  Here you're adding the requirement that the MPI implementation must track any object it allocates.  MPICH currently keeps track most objects (maybe all), but I don't think we should force that on an implementation.  I feel users should clean up after themselves; any good programmer already does.  Also, this requirement would mean that a buffer allocated with MPI_MEM_ALLOC is freed at MPI_FINALIZE.  Do we really want to do that?

NO -- I do not do so. Only objects that where freed by a cal to MPI_xxx_FREE need to be actually deallocated at FINALIZE, if there not so before. The buffer is not allocated by MPI/