[Mpi3-hybridpm] tickets 310 313 317

Douglas Miller dougmill at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 24 15:17:46 CST 2012

Last time we discussed these, I thought there were going to be some minor
changes made. Unfortunately, these revised texts seem to have significant
changes, and are farther from what I was comfortable with. We don't seem to
be converging on a target. Here's what I've been thinking:

* One MPI_INIT (or MPI_INIT_THREAD) and one MPI_FINALIZE per OS process.
After MPI_INIT*, all MPI Processes are initialized.

* Every thread is associated with one MPI Process by default. Which MPI
Process is implementation defined. A call to MPI_COMM_RANK on
MPI_COMM_WORLD will tell which. (sub-communicators might return
MPI_PROC_NULL)

* changing associated is permitted with MPI_THREAD_ATTACH (not sure I'm
comfortable with the abstract "index" version of this, I like (MPI_COMM,
rank) more)

* No new thread levels. Specify that thread level is relative to the MPI
Process. I'm OK with requiring that multiple MPI processes requires thread
level > MPI_THREAD_SINGLE, although I'm not sure it is necessary.

MPI_COMM_SPLIT_TYPE is fine as-is, I think.

Douglas Miller                  BlueGene Messaging Development
IBM Corp., Rochester, MN USA                     Bldg 030-2 A401
dougmill at us.ibm.com               Douglas Miller/Rochester/IBM

             Marc Snir
             <snir at mcs.anl.gov
             Sent by:                  mpi3-hybridpm at lists.mpi-forum.org,
             mpi3-hybridpm-bou                                          cc
             nces at lists.mpi-fo
             rum.org                                               Subject
                                       [Mpi3-hybridpm] tickets 310 313 317

             02/22/2012 09:07
             AM

             Please respond to
             mpi3-hybridpm at lis
             ts.mpi-forum.org

I posted text for each of them. Text for ticket 311 is now part of text for
ticket 310. Please read and comment.