[Mpi3-hybridpm] [Mpi3-rma] Alternative Proposal for Shared Memory Support

Torsten Hoefler htor at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 15 21:17:17 CDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:03:40PM -0500, Rajeev Thakur wrote:
> Since processes sharing memory can/will access it directly using
> memory references (not put/get), and this proposal is for the unified
> memory model, we need to say whether any of the synchronization
> functions in the RMA chapter are needed at all for such usage.
Well, put/get to local windows are also allowed, so this would not be an
exception. It's even nicely defined because the chapter defines the
behavior for overlapping windows, and a shared window could be treated
semantically like multiple overlapping windows. I am not sure if all are
needed but I would say that all can be used.

Yes, load/store accesses would probably be the most common use (plus
maybe the new (portable) atomics!).

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Hoefler         | Performance Modeling and Simulation Lead