[Mpi3-hybridpm] Shared memory segments proposal

James Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 9 10:11:50 CST 2010

Hi Bill,

What you're suggesting is of course the right thing to do from the MPI
library's point of view.  I'm coming at it from the other side as an MPI
user.  If I want to write robust and portable code and there's a good
chance that shared segments will be non-symmetric on some systems then I
should do the extra work of coding for non-symmetric allocation since it
will work everywhere.  So, my feeling is that if we can't guarantee
symmetry 99% of the time then there is no point in offering it since
good programmers will not want to use it and others who do might be
shooting themselves in the foot on portability.

I've been thinking of symmetric allocation as a convenience rather than
performance property.  However, if I merge threads and bring in the
discussion about synchronization - will symmetric allocation allow us to
do more efficient locking?  System V uses semaphores which are system
calls.  If we have non-symmetric mappings of the same data, will all
architectures (e.g. VIVT caches) be able to perform atomic operations on
that memory?  So, if we can do a symmetric mapping will this allow us to
do something more efficient a la pthreads mutexes?

  ~Jim.