[Mpi3-hybridpm] Shared memory segments proposal

James Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 6 11:18:39 CDT 2010

Hi Bill,

The problem with favoring one, but allowing both is that the
representation for pointers changes from symmetric to non-symmetric
allocations.  In the non-symmetric case, direct pointers are not valid
on every process so you have to use displacements instead.  In a linked
list, for example, you'd store a displacement in next instead of the
direct next pointer:

elem_t *next = current->next + ((uint8_t*) segment_base);

versus symmetric:

elem_t *next = current->next;

This means that next has a different type in symmetric vs non-symmetric
and will be dereferenced differently - it can get messy supporting both
pointers and displacements in the same code.  Portable programs would
most likely go for the least common denominator and assume non-symmetric
so any effort we invest in supporting symmetric allocation would be wasted.

This isn't a huge deal to me, you can easily put together a few macros
to make non-symmetric allocations easier to live with.  I'm willing to
pass on this if we don't feel we can guarantee that it will always be
symmetric.  This just popped out as a potential opportunity for us to
improve on one of the hassles of conventional shared segments.

  ~Jim.

PS- CC'd back to the Hybrid PM list, I think Ron and others might be
interested in the discussion.