[Mpi3-hybridpm] MPI thread requirements (was RE: Telecon: 06/23)

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Fri Jul 3 13:37:07 CDT 2009

At 05:53 AM 7/3/2009, Supalov, Alexander wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>Coming back to the matter of MPI requirements to the threads, I
>think the requirement should be formulated in a functional manner, e.g.:
>
>"A threading subsystem should guarantee that all threads that call
>MPI routines will get proper attention of the processor."
>
>Or better words to this effect. Please comment.
>
>FYI, I'm going to be on vacation until July 27, so, you may expect
>substantial delay in my replies.

That's the same as defining progress. I'm not personally against that
since progress is easy to define in formal terms. However, there
seems to be heavy pushback from the general community. It may just be
easier to let the MPI implementation define the thread packages it is
compatible with.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
Lawrence Livermore National Lab