[mpiwg-ft] Ticket 324 June 2015 Reading

Schulz Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Tue Jun 2 02:09:55 CDT 2015

Hi Fab, all,

I see where you are coming from and this makes sense to me. Defining this
behavior more accurately and also defining what happens when a fault
happens on freed communicator is clearly needed.

The current standard text pretty much keeps the current communicator
around, even if it is freed, and that’s probably the right way to do it.
However, the current text still treats it as freed and so we can’t easily
call Abort on it. So, the question is what to do with the Abort if a fault
happens in such a scenario. I think we have four options: abort only
MPI_COMM_SELF (this seems too localized to me), abort all processors in
the communicator (I don’t think we can easily do this, since we don’t have
the communicator anymore, unless we change the behavior of free), abort
all processes in MPI_COMM_WORLD (which seems too draconian), or to abort
the immediate parent in the communicator hierarchy (which I am suggesting).

An orthogonal issue is what to do, if we change the behavior of the error
handler - do we follow the error handler of the actual, but freed
communicator, or do we take the different handler of the parent. I don’t
have a good answer for this.

Martin
`

Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://scalability.llnl.gov/