[mpiwg-ft] Fwd: MPI FT chapter comments (from Bill Gropp)

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:56:12 CDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Aurélien Bouteiller <bouteill at icl.utk.edu>wrote:

> p 597, mid page.  What is "the lock"?  Note that WIN_LOCK/UNLOCK is not a
> mutex - it has to do with the beginning and ending of a passive target
> epoch.
>
> This is a good comment; talking about a "lock" is informal and useful for
discussion, but not good standard-eze.  What we mean here is that a process
has reserved resources associated with an RMA access epoch, and it cannot
release those resources because of a failure.  The particulars of when
resources are reserved, what they are, and how they are released are only
very loosely defined by the MPI spec, so we should try to describe this
using fairly abstract language.

 ~Jim.