[Mpi3-ft] FT / IO Joint Session at next meeting

Wesley Bland wbland at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 21 09:57:03 CDT 2013

The main thing we wanted to discuss was to check in and make sure that the text we have for the I/O is still sufficient and see if there is anything else worth pursuing with respect the FT + I/O.

The current behavior is that if there is a failure, the state of the file pointer is undefined and you essentially have to start over. Also, because I/O functions don't synchronize, there's no guarantee of failure notification via the I/O functions and the user might need to provide their own notification mechanism using communicator-based functions.

If the I/O group doesn't have anything to add to that, then we could probably push that discussion out or fold it into the I/O time. The only conflict there is the Tools WG and as far as I know, there isn't anyone in FT and Tools.

Thanks,
Wesley