[Mpi3-ft] Problem with reusing rendezvous memory buffers

Sur, Sayantan sayantan.sur at intel.com
Wed Jul 31 12:55:02 CDT 2013

> I'm not talking about RMA here.  I'm just talking about send/recv.  I'm also
> not talking about simultaneous receives posted on the same buffer.
>   They are separated by failure notifications, COMM_AGREE, whatever else
> you need.  I think Sayantan got the point Wesley mentioned and his solution
> is correct (assuming enough support from the network to do so).
>   Though I'm not convinced it's not adding overhead.  Sayantan should
> comment on this.

Just repeating my email yesterday just in case it got lost.

" I think this problem doesn't exist (even without the per-process key).

The target process will destroy the connection to the "observed failed" process. That itself is sufficient for all networks that I'm aware of to be able to discard the late message when it arrives. Basically, the late message arrives on a dead connection/endpoint."

I will also support Rich's view that this is a network implementation issue. As far as the SW is concerned it should just destroy the connection/endpoint and unless it is a completely broken network, it should reject packets from that source once the connection is destroyed.

Thanks,
Sayantan.