[Mpi3-ft] ULFM Slides for Madrid

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 12:57:40 CDT 2013

Hi Wesley,

Overall, this is going in a great direction.  Thanks for all of the effort
you and others have been putting into the presentation.

Slide 4: "Only requirement is that failure are eventually reported to all
processes which communicate with the failed process."  I am wondering if
this statement, to be precise, applies only to point-to-point
communication?  Is it possible for me to never find out about a failure of
another process with whom I make collective calls?

Slide 5: I haven't heard the term "algorithm completion" before.  Would it
be better to call this something like fault tolerant consensus?

Slide 11: You should point out that we have no way to free a communicator,
if it is not valid at all correct processes.  Processes that noticed the
failure wouldn't be able to call revoke, since they don't have a valid
handle to the communicator.

Slide 12: Should you clean up the communicator somehow, if the creation
failed?  Do you revoke or free it?  Is this semantic defined -- seems like
the same issue as on slide 11?

 ~Jim.