[Mpi3-ft] Ticket 323 - status?

Aurélien Bouteiller bouteill at eecs.utk.edu
Thu May 31 10:33:13 CDT 2012

The proposal does not add significant complexity to the code base, especially when no fault tolerance is supported. I'm not waiving hands here, we have an implementation of this proposal that does not support fault tolerance, the diff is less than 1k lines total, mostly "stub" code for the interfaces that remaps to existing MPI constructs. On the matter of most interest to you, no changes are required in the runtime in this case (not a single line diff). Please have a look at the implementation yourself, it is available.

Beside this proposal is not defining a recovery model, it is merely defining the error raised when failure happen and the following state of MPI, nothing more. Defining proper recovery models is left to user-level libraries, which benefit from this proposal by being portable across different MPI versions (even those that do not support effective fault tolerance because the target machine is stable, or the implementors were lazy).

The large number of abstain votes proves that we didn't had time to convince people of the soundness of the approach, there was still significant uncertainty at the time  of the vote in the mind of many participants. This is an important information, as it seems we often hear comments that are not founded on hard facts, but rather on feelings or fears (including that the text had been changed very close to the deadline, a very valid concern). We might want to make sure to publicize more the results we already have, and arguably, the tight  schedule for 3.0 inclusion didn't left that much opportunity for this and has been detrimental.

Aurelien