[Mpi3-ft] Clarification Ticket 323: MPI_ANY_SOURCE and MPI_Test(any)

David Solt dsolt at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 16 17:15:45 CDT 2012

Since the 2nd paragraph seems to be covering MPI_ANY_SOURCE as a special
case I doubt that a reader would attempt to draw many conclusions about
MPI_ANY_SOURCE from the first paragraph.  If they did, then the first
sentence could easily be taken as an indication that blocking
MPI_ANY_SOURCE receives will not return an error due to a single process
failure because that failure is not guaranteed to prevent the MPI
implementation from successfully completing the communication.   We might
intend it to mean that a blocking recv on MPI_ANY_SOURCE returns an error
when a process fails, but I don't think the text is clear about that. The
old text wasn't terribly clear either, but the catchall "In all other
cases, the operation must return MPI_ERR_PROC_FAILED"  sort of covered it.
Dave