[Mpi3-ft] Multiple Communicator Version of MPI_Comm_validate

Josh Hursey jjhursey at open-mpi.org
Fri Sep 16 08:50:08 CDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Bronis R. de Supinski <bronis at llnl.gov> wrote:

>> From a scalability standpoint and from a MPI implementation
>
> memory usage standpoint, you want validating any communicator
> that includes an dead endpoint to eliminate ever having to
> use collective communication to validate other communicators
> that include that endpoint. If you can achieve that by the
> current interface then you do not need to add anything (the
> validate becomes a local call so no big deal, it just ensures
> the code that uses that communicator has current information).

Note that if you do not want to use collectives, just point-to-point
then you may never have to call MPI_Comm_validate at all - it is
really just for re-enabling collectives and providing a consistent
global view of the failure set.

For collective communication, I don't think we can achieve the local
semantic with the current version of MPI_Comm_validate() so we are
definitely talking about a new interface. The synchronization and
consistency aspects of MPI_Comm_validate() are pretty important as
building blocks for many fault tolerant applications. Termination
protocols often require that at some point each process knows that
everyone else agrees upon the same state, so that they can take
consistent action. Without faults you can infer this behavior based on
messages received and a single context of execution. But with faults
occurring nondeterministically, and notification at each process
happening at different points in the execution, it can be difficult to
coordinate recovery with other processes.

We could think about what a MPI_Comm_validate_local() version might
look like. Something that validates a communicator locally with
respect to say another communicator.
--------------
MPI_Comm_validate_many(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &grp);
// This implicitly validates all other communicators containing
// any of the failed processes in &grp. Collective across MCW
MPI_Comm_validate_local(commA, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &grp);
// Locally validate commA based on the last validated state of MCW
--------------
So it would re-enable collectives locally and return a list of failed
processes with respect to the last MPI_Comm_validate (humm we might
have to store this information on the communicator which we have
avoided so far).

Would we run into cross-process consistency issues if one process
validated_local and started using collectives on commA before another
process called validate_local? This might be something interesting to
think through as another alternative. The problem with the
MPI_Comm_validate_local call is that you need to know which
communicator was validated to know which to validate locally against
(gets into the user complexity trap).

> Otherwise, you want validating a communicator that includes
> that endpoint to validate all other communicators that use
> that endpoint, regardless of how the communicators have been
> derived. You do not want a inherited interface, either explicit
> or implicit (explicit is too hard to use and does not solve the
> real problem of excessive cost being forced on the user by
> the interface; similarly implicit but only inherited does not
> solve the problem). The key is to provide some mechanism to
> alert the user that the communicator has been backdoor validated.

So if the application calls MPI_Comm_validate_many(MPI_COMM_WORLD)
then all other communicators containing the identified failed ranks
would automatically be validated in the same step. We could return a
special error code MPI_ERR_YOU_HAVE_BEEN_VALIDATED on the first use of
the derived communicator after the validate call completes (maybe with
some protection for point-to-point operations to non-failed
processes). This would warn the application that after this point
collectives are re-enabled for this derived communicator, and provide
the notification of being backdoor validated. The application/library
would be forced to check the return code from all MPI calls for this
special error code if it uses collective operations.

I'm not sure what we might need to say about the state of operations
on other communicators at the time the MPI_Comm_validate_many() call
is active or the concurrent use of MPI_Comm_validate_many() in
multiple communicators. Are there any threading issues between a
library working in a thread calling collectives and the main
application periodically calling MPI_Comm_validate_many()?

What do folks think?

-- Josh