[Mpi3-ft] Multiple Communicator Version of MPI_Comm_validate

Sur, Sayantan sayantan.sur at intel.com
Wed Sep 14 15:17:13 CDT 2011

Hi Josh,

> Workaround:
> --------------------
> Call MPI_Comm_validate over all of the communicators individually.
> This would involve 'num_comms' collective operations and likely impede
> scalability.
>
> for(i=0; i < num_comms; ++i) {
>   MPI_Comm_validate(comm[i], failed_grps[i]);
> }

Would it not be possible for the app to create a communicator that is the union of all the processes, and subsequently call validate only on that 'super' communicator? I hope I am not missing something from your example.

I liked your Option B as such, however, as you point out, it has significant problems in case of applications consisting of several layers of libraries.

Sayantan.