[Mpi3-ft] Eventually Perfect Failure Detector

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 2 14:04:22 CDT 2011

I think this sounds very good.  Some comments:

Fail-Stop:  Shouldn't it say that the process doesn't recover, or stops executing permanently?

Mistakenly failed processes:  I think we should say that we allow the implementation to kill the process.

Paragraph starting with "Strong completeness":  Technically it's more likely that the process will _hang_ (in a blocking communication operation) than result in a "deadlock".  Maybe: "...which may result in a process stuck in, e.g., a blocking communication operation."

Advice to users:  Maybe change the sentence starting with "As such..." to "As such, it is possible that for a period of time, some alive processes in the MPI universe know of process failures that other alive processes do not."

-d