[Mpi3-ft] Latest version of chapter

Josh Hursey jjhursey at open-mpi.org
Sat Oct 22 11:26:29 CDT 2011

Alexander,

Thanks for the comments. It is helping me, at least, think through
some of the use cases in a bit more detail.

I think I'm ok with keeping the inheritance of the FailHandler
matching the inheritance of the ErrHandler. So in some, but not all,
cases it is inherited, and we don't create a special inheritance rule
for the FailHandler different from the ErrHandler.

There is a bit of a race between firing of a FailHanlder and the
destruction of the communication object. I think to some degree that
is unavoidable, and the user will need to have setup an FailHandler on
another communicator to get the notification. If the failed process is
known at the top of the destruction function, then it might be called
at the top before destruction. Otherwise it is as if the process
failed just after the destruction. So we never get in the case where
the FailHandler is triggered with an invalid communicator. Humm... the
problem then is that if some processes destroyed the communicator
while others are in the FailHandler with the not-yet-destroyed
communicator, the user will have to somehow know that the communicator
object, though locally valid, is not globally valid and might not be
able to be used for communication. Icky... My gut reaction is that MPI
should not put the user into this situation, but that means the the
comm_free operation is not just collective, but synchronizing.

I don't think we want to allow the user to destroy the communication
object in the FailHandler (or even ErrHandler). That might get tricky
to support.

I'm good with the notion that the FailHandler is fired once for every
communicator that includes the failed process. So if Process X is in
both commA and commB and those communicators have FailHandler fhA and
fhB registered, respectively. Then the failure of process X would
trigger a call to fhA (the next time commA is used) -and- fhB (the
next time commB is used). That way we make sure that every
communicator that wanted to see the error is able to see it (for
library support). And the application is responsible for coordinating
recovery between multiple FailHandler callbacks that they might see
due to the use of multiple communicators at the application level.

The last point seems to be do we fire the per-communicator FailHanlder
once for each process failure or once for a set of process failures. I
think scalability would push us towards the set of process failures,
particularly if we are starting to talk about nodes with 100s of
processes so losing a node might trigger a lot of callbacks x the
number of communicators including those processes. So I am leaning
towards the firing of the FailHandler once for a set of failures.
Maybe we can adjust the signature of the FailHandler function to
return a locally consistent MPI_Group of failed processes (similar to
MPI_Comm_group_failed) that represent the view of failed processes on
the communicator at the time of the FailHandler call.

There is the issue that, what if a process fails while the application
is in the FailHandler. In particular if we allow the user to use MPI
functions in the FailHandler, the new failure might trigger the
FailHandler to be called again. The user would have to make sure that
the two (or N) FailHandler invocations do not interfere with one
another - which might get tricky with message matching if they are
using MPI functions. I guess we could have the restriction that the
FailHandler would -not- be triggered from MPI functions used within
the FailHandler (or only reenable it after the FailHandler returns).

I'll take a pass at the document today and include these semantic
adjustments. I suspect the semantics will continue to be refined based
on further discussion, but it will give us a bit of a straw man to
work against as we keep taking through this use case in the coming
weeks.

Thanks,
Josh