[Mpi3-ft] one sided

Sur, Sayantan sayantan.sur at intel.com
Fri Oct 21 15:54:45 CDT 2011

Hi All,

The new chapter says this about the window creation:

"If the MPI_WIN_CREATE operation fails at any live process due to a process failure, then the operation must fail at every live process with an error in the class MPI_ERR_PROC_FAIL_STOP."

I'm wondering what would happen if MPI_WIN_CREATE did not have this qualification at all. i.e. it would succeed at some processes and fail at some processes. After all, any following GET or PUT calls can always raise the error class MPI_ERR_PROC_FAIL_STOP. Also, the communicator passed to MPI_WIN_CREATE is allowed to have dead processes in it ... then why qualify win create with this requirement?

Thanks,
Sayantan.