[Mpi3-ft] "Error" to "Fault" changes

Josh Hursey jjhursey at open-mpi.org
Wed Jun 29 08:46:02 CDT 2011

Going through the changes, some of the changes sound good and others
I'm not sure about. Instead of iterating through them on the mailing
list, let's make sure to go through the changes on the call today. I
think talking through them will help. We need to deal with any issues
in the RTS proposal first (but I don't expect that to take long) then
we can devote the rest of the time to this proposal.

A few notes:
 * If we like the definitions of Error and Failure presented in this
thread, then we should refine those and replace the definitions in the
current document before it ships.
 * This is a nice wording: P23,L8: Whenever possible, MPI calls return
an error code if [an error]a fault occurred during the call.
 * I like the 'an error is raised' wording. I think that is clear. The
notion of an MPI Exception is not so clear to me. If we are going to
use 'execption' we should clearly differentiate it from 'error' and
'fault' - more so that the standard currently does on P302,L29.
 * I'm concerned that on P22,L46 and P23,L1 we are changing the terms
being defined. This seems pretty disruptive. I would almost prefer
defining 'program/resource error' and 'program/resource fault'
separately here so that the reader understands the differentiation.

>From the reading it may be useful to remember that a fault at one
level of the system may be an error at a higher level of the system -
since the definition of a system is recursive to the base case of an
atomic component. Not sure if that helps, but it is one of the aspects
of the language that I am getting hung up on.

-- Josh