[Mpi3-ft] General Network Channel Failure

Howard Pritchard howardp at cray.com
Thu Jun 9 10:20:22 CDT 2011

Hi Greg,

I vote for an MPI-centric model.

I also think that part of the job of MPI is to hide as much
as possible things like 'exhaustion of network resources'
and 'intermittent network failures'.  Indeed, the very first
sentence in section 2.8 says "MPI provides the user with
reliable message transmission".

The only reason the topic came up yesterday was in the
context of the fail-stop model and what types of error
codes might be returned by MPI before the official
verdict was in that a fail-stop had occurred.  Several of
us checked what our implementations might do prior to
that, and it could include returning MPI_ERR_OTHER.  I
could see how for someone writing a fault tolerant MPI
application, something more useful than this rather ambiguous
error code might be worth defining.

Howard

Howard Pritchard
Software Engineering