[Mpi3-ft] RTS - 4th Draft

Josh Hursey jjhursey at open-mpi.org
Wed Jun 22 14:00:48 CDT 2011

I just uploaded the 4th draft version of the RTS proposal to the wiki
that reflects the notes from todays teleconf. Change log at bottom.
  https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/ft/run_through_stabilization

On the teleconf we decided to meet again on Monday, June 27 at 11:30
am EDT - in addition to meeting on Wednesday, June 29 at the regular
time. The document should be ready to ship by the Wednesday meeting.
We stopped at section 17.9 on todays teleconf.

A couple of issues came up on the teleconf that other might want to comment on:
 - In Section 17.6.2, we need to cleanup the wording here a bit to
make it clear about the possible impact on implementations. In
particular, does this require that all MPI operations have a check for
initialized in them? and how could that check be used to provide the
necessary semantics.
 - Folks were wondering about what we should say regarding how long
MPI_Comm_kill should block considering it is a non-collective
operation. I added a sentence to the document, not sure if it is good
or not but it is a place to start. Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

Change Log
 * 17.5.2: Add forward reference to collective chapter in
MPI_Comm_validate_all explanation of collective active.
 * 17.6:   Minor wording cleanup
 * 17.6.1: Tense correction on 'error classes'
 * 17.6.2: Loosen up the wording a bit 'should try' and add an advice
to implementors regarding critical errors.
 * 17.6.3: Clarify that this is a local operation (non-collective).
Also clarify 'process group'
 * 17.6.3: If the MPI_Comm_kill operation cannot provide the necessary
semantics then it should return MPI_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_OPERATION.
 * 17.6.3: Add a first try at some language about how long
MPI_Comm_kill will block - must block until locally finished, may
block until globally finished.
 * 17.7.1: 'effect' -> 'affect'
 * 17.7.1: Slight clarification improvement to the use of
MPI_Comm_validate_set_state_null on an inactive persistent request.
 * 17.7.1: 'effect' -> 'affect'
 * 17.8:   Clarify advice to implementors
 * 17.8:   Highlight 'undefined' for buffers.
 * 17.8.1: 'therefor' -> 'therefore'
 * 17.8.2: Re-order the sentence so it reads a bit better
 * 17.8.3: Add back reference to Validation operations regarding
overlapping collectives with validate_all.
 * 17.8.4: Bcast Example - Add citation for 'recovery blocks'
 * 17.9.2: Add missing word ("group") to 'Rationale'
 * 17.9.2: Clarify that MPI_Comm_is_collectively_active is a local operation.
 * 17.12.1: Add back reference to window validation operations to
advice to users.
 * 17.13:   Put the question in an 'e.g.,' parenthetical.
 * 17.13.1: Add a bit more clarification to Rationale regarding
semantics for MPI_File_close.

--
Joshua Hursey
Postdoctoral Research Associate