[Mpi3-ft] MPI_Comm_validate_all

Thomas Herault herault.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:55:55 CST 2011

Le 16 févr. 2011 à 16:45, Graham, Richard L. a écrit :

> You can't guarantee all will return, but you can guarantee that those who
> do, will return the same value.  So you will get the status just before
> the call - which is the intent of this call.
>
> Rich

To be clear:  (all living processes return the same error) XOR (all living processes return SUCCESS and the lists are the same)
 -> Is it what this paragraph intended to say?
 -> The processes that don't return: are they dead? Or blocked in this call forever (hence, as useful as a dead processor)?

I'm saying that
 - it is possible to implement these semantics, assuming a failure detection mechanism.
 - it is necessary to have these semantics to have a collective repair, and allow the application to use blocking calls, like MPI_recv, after such a validation.

Thomas