[Mpi3-ft] MPI_Comm_validate_all

Thomas Herault herault.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:34:41 CST 2011

If we allow the call to return successfully at some nodes, and an error at others, we defeat the reason of existence of this call.

If some of them detect the failure, and others don't, some will enter the call (let say A detected the failure, and entered validate again, to acknowledge it), others (B) will enter other communications, e.g. mpi_recv(A), which will never return an error, because communication with A is legitimate, but A is not doing the send, it's trying to revalidate the communicator, which it cannot, because B does not enter the call. The MPI application is erroneous, but could not have been correct: consensus semantics on at least one collective operation is required to allow for a collective repair.

Thomas