[Mpi3-ft] Exit Code from 'mpirun' upon failure recovery

Joshua Hursey jjhursey at open-mpi.org
Fri Feb 4 16:34:48 CST 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 12:36 PM, Darius Buntinas wrote:

> Here's a first stab:
>
> Without faults, it would be reasonable for mpiexec to return the exit code of rank 0.  If we extend this to the case with faults and fault tolerant programs, we could say that mpiexec returns the return code from the lowest ranked process that exits after calling MPI_Finalize.  If there is no such process, the return code specified in the last call to MPI_Abort().  If no process calls MPI_Finalize or MPI_Abort, return the return code of rank 0.
>
> This way if the process chooses to handle faults and continues the non-failed processes will eventually call MPI_Finalize.  These processes can then decide what return code to return, since we have to choose one, let's choose the lowest ranked one.
>
> MPI_Abort can specify a communicator other than MPI_COMM_WORLD, and a high-quality implementation would abort only the processes in that communicator, leaving the remaining processes to continue.  In this case we don't want to save the return code of the MPI_Abort, since the app is still running.  If these processes eventually call MPI_Finalize, that's covered by the first case.  But if these processes run into another problem and call MPI_Abort, we should return the return code from that MPI_Abort. So only the last MPI_Abort should count.  Of course 'last' may be subject to some nondeterminism, but that should be OK.
>
> The last case is a catch-all where processes just die.  So we might as well return the return code of rank 0.
>
> What do you think?  Of course this would be 'advice to implementors' and not required.

I think this is a pretty reasonable definition. If others agree, I can add it to the proposal since I think it would make a pretty useful 'advice to implementors'.

On a side note, in Open MPI, we have had a variety of requests for behaviors in similar scenarios (e.g., return the lowest, non-zero value from any rank, highest rank, lowest rank, a specific rank, and many others). So having something defined in the standard would go a long way to helping sort through these user requests.

Thanks,
Josh