[Mpi3-ft] Defining the state of MPI after an error

Joshua Hursey jjhursey at open-mpi.org
Tue Sep 21 11:43:51 CDT 2010

The MPI_ERR_CANNOT_CONTINUE proposal in a small step in the direction to a more well defined set of expected/correct behavior after an error. Currently no standard MPI call can describe expected behavior after a failure since there is an overriding statement about the state being undefined. The CANNOT_CONTINUE error class defines a limit on this behavior, while still allowing the MPI implementation to decide what is correct behavior after the error for their implementation. This proposal seems small, almost inconsequential, but it opens the door a bit more for exploring well defined error semantics in future proposals.

If an application wishes to continue using the MPI implementation after an error, it is still at their own risk. But now there is a well defined error class for the MPI implementation to hand back to the application when it does not know how to correctly proceed with this function call. The hope is that this proposal encourages implementations to start defining reasonable error semantics for specific error scenarios. These emerging error semantics are then able to be brought forward for eventual standardization.

So for the Bcast example that you cited, I don't think I can say exactly what expected behavior should be. It is an interesting case, since even in the current standard it does not say anything about what the user can expect to happen if only one of the processes receive a local error. Does the collective fail? Does it hang? Most implementations probably just hang the other dependent processes in the collective, since doing more could hinder performance. So the user will have to have another mechanism to interrupt the collective operation (maybe a separate checking thread, or maybe relying on a tool to help detect such scenarios). This proposal just says that it is fine for the MPI library to block the erroneous process from making future calls into MPI. If the MPI implementation allows for something more reasonable to happen, it is allowed to do so. If an MPI implementation does so, and users like the semantics other implementations may be pushed to support the same semantics, and now we are on the road to standardization.

So when someone brings forward a new proposal for an new interface (like the Shared Memory allocation routines), and they have a few error class scenarios that are informative or warning in nature they can specify what expected behavior should be for continued operation from those specific error classes. Without this proposal, defining such expected behavior in the standard is ill advised since there is the blanket statement of undefined behavior. With the proposal, it then becomes appropriate to include these semantics in the standard since the undefined behavior is able to be bound by the MPI_ERR_CANNOT_CONTINUE error class.

So a standard compliant basic MPI implementation will always return MPI_ERR_CANNOT_CONTINUE after an error on subsequent calls. If a new interface is included in a future standard that has well defined semantics on the behavior of MPI after, say, the MPI_ERR_RANK error class. Then this basic MPI implementation will return MPI_ERR_CANNOT_CONTINUE after an error on subsequent calls except for this case in which it must behave according to the standard.

As we are seeing with attempting to define sound semantics for the new MPI_ERR_RANK_FAIL_STOP error class in the stabilization proposal, doing so is a lot of work. So there is a challenge in attempting to define the state of MPI (and further the distributed environment) after any error class. But if it is important to applications it may be worth it.

It is my opinion that the current standard's blanket language is too restrictive. So I see the MPI_ERR_CANNOT_CONTINUE proposal as a small step towards better error semantics. Though, as with anything, I can be convinced otherwise if there is doubt about my reasoning or the utility of such an error class.

Thanks for your patience in this thread.

-- Josh