[Mpi3-ft] MPI_Init / MPI_Finalize

Joshua Hursey jjhursey at open-mpi.org
Thu Aug 26 10:41:58 CDT 2010

On Aug 26, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Bronis R. de Supinski wrote:

> Josh:
>
> Re:
>> Bronis, thanks for the clarification on MPI_Finalize. I guess the
>> detail that I was trying to get at is that it is not specified whether
>> MPI_Finalize is a leave early/enter late kind of collective.
>>
>> So, at least the way I read it, it would be valid if one process enters
>> and exits MPI_Finalize  before a different process enters MPI_Finalize
>> (similar to MPI_Bcast).
>
> Yes, that is correct. Since nothing is explicitly stated, it falls into
> the general category of collectives that users must treat as synchronizing
> (in terms of deadlock) although implementations may not be.
>
>> This points to the reasoning behind the advice to implementors just
>> above the cited paragraph that suggests a barrier operation during
>> MPI_Finalize as one option. Am I interpreting this correctly?
>
> Yes.
>
>> One misleading sentence to me is the following on p291 just after the
>> definition of MPI_Finalize: "Each process must call MPI_FINALIZE before
>> it exits." The 'it' is slightly unclear. I think this is referring to
>> the process exiting, not the function. If 'it' referred to the function
>> then this would disallow the collective to have some ranks leave the
>> collective before all have joined, so requiring a barrier semantic.
>
> I can see the ambiguity. I would be in favor of rewriting the
> sentence to eliminate the pronoun or at least the ambiquity.
> How about: "Before each process exits, it must call MPI_FINALIZE."
> I think that is clearly what was intended (not from the immediate
> context but from the general treatment of collectives).

I agree. I filed a ticket on Trac (not sure if I did it 100% correctly) so we can try to get this ambiguity fixed.
  https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/227

>> For the fault tolerance discussion, I think the question is on the
>> consistency of the return code. Should the return code have commit/abort
>> properties? So if there is a success then all processes return success.
>> If some process fails during MPI_Finalize, should all processes return
>> some error code.
>
> Not having followed everything in the FT working group closely,
> it is hard for me to answer that in terms of what the group
> thinking is. However, it is clear to me that you cannot require
> a collective to be synchronizing just to ensure return code
> agreement. I would feel that was antithetical to the primary
> goal of MPI. Perhaps a user could poll to find out if an error
> occurs subsequently. I suppose that would result in a call that
> could be made after MPI_FINALIZE. However, I think I would
> argue that once you call MPI_FINALIZE, you don't care...
>
>> It is unclear to me if this property (commit/abort return codes) is
>> really useful to the application. If all processes return success then a
>> process fails directly afterwards, the other processes have no way of
>> being notified. So what action could the remaining processes
>> realistically take in either the success or failure case.
>
> Further, those processes may not even exist. It is not really
> clear what happens to most processes after MPI_FINALIZE, which
> I felt was your primary point initially and with which I agree.
> Ultimately, why would we want to create any possible performance
> penalty to disseminate errors during/after MPI_FINALIZE?
>
>> So my suggestion is that we allow MPI_Finalize to preserve its loose
>> synchrony, leave early collective property as long as the rank is no
>> longer needed to continue interacting with any of the connected process
>> (say for relaying error information). This means that some ranks may
>> return success while other return error if a process fails during
>> finalize. MPI implementations may choose to provide applications with
>> commit/abort semantics, but are not required to do so.
>>
>> Does that sounds reasonable for MPI_Finalize?
>
> Yes, I agree.

I also agree with your statements above. If the process calls MPI_Finalize then it is done with MPI and it shouldn't care if there were errors.

Thanks,
Josh