[Mpi3-ft] MPI_Init / MPI_Finalize

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Wed Aug 25 23:08:36 CDT 2010

Fab:

There is no wiggle room. MPI_FINALIZE is collective across
MPI_COMM_WORLD. I do not understand why you would say otherwise.
Here is more of the passage I was quoting:

-----------------

MPI_FINALIZE is collective over all connected processes. If no processes
were spawned, accepted or connected then this means over  MPI_COMM_WORLD;
otherwise it is collective over the union of all processes that have been
and continue to be connected, as explained in Section Releasing
Connections  on page Releasing Connections.

-----------------

The "connected" terminology is used to handle dynamic process
management issues, for which the set of all processes cannot
easily be defined in terms of a single communicator.

Bronis

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Fab Tillier wrote:

> What defines "connected"?  MPI_FINALIZE isn't collective across MPI_COMM_WORLD, as processes might never communicate with one another.  Even if they do, communication may not require a connection, so they may never be connected.
>
> It seems to me there might be enough wiggle room in the standard to allow MPI_Finalize to not be collective at all?
>
> -Fab
>
> Bronis R. de Supinski wrote on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 at 15:06:38
>

>> Josh:
>>
>> On p293 of the 2.2 standard, it says "MPI_FINALIZE is collective
>> over all connected processes." I don't know that the call being
>> collective changes your analysis but your statement that the
>> call is not collective was incorrect...
>>
>> Bronis
>>

>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Joshua Hursey wrote:
>>
>>> During the discussion of the run-though stabilization proposal today
>>> on the teleconf, we spent a while discussing the expected behavior of
>>> MPI_Init and MPI_Finalize in the presence of process failures. I would
>>> like to broaden the discussion a bit to help pin down the expected
>>> behavior.
>>>
>>> MPI_Init(): ----------- Problem: If a process fails before or during
>>> MPI_Init, what should the MPI implementation do?
>>>
>>> The current standard says nothing about the return value of
>>> MPI_Init() (Ch. 8.7). To the greatest possible extent the application
>>> should not be put in danger if it wishes to ignore errors (assumes
>>> MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL), so returning an error from this function (in
>>> contrast to aborting the job) might be dangerous. However, if the
>>> application is prepared to handle process failures, it is unable to
>>> communicate that information to the MPI implementation until after the
>>> completion of MPI_Init().
>>>
>>> So a couple of solutions were presented each with pros and cons (please
>>> fill in if I missed any): 1) If a process fails in MPI_Init() (default
>>> error handler is
>>> MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL) then the entire job is aborted (similar to
>>> calling MPI_Abort on MPI_COMM_WORLD).
>>>
>>> 2) If a process fails in MPI_Init() the MPI implementation will
>>> return an appropriate error code/class (e.g., MPI_ERR_RANK_FAIL_STOP),
>>> and all subsequent calls into the MPI implementation will return the
>>> error class MPI_ERR_OTHER (should be create a MPI_ERR_NOT_ACTIVE?).
>>> Applications should eventually notice the error and terminate.
>>>
>>> 3) Allow the application to register only the MPI_ERRORS_RETURN
>>> handle on MPI_COMM_WORLD before MPI_Init() using the
>>> MPI_Errhandler_set() function. Errors that occur before the
>>> MPI_Errhandler_set() call are fatal. Errors afterward, including during