[Mpi3-ft] Communicator Virtualization as a step forward

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Thu Feb 12 13:39:24 CST 2009

I don't think that the users are suggesting that they don't want FT
support. It sounds like they just don't value having the ability to
reset the state of the MPI library without having to restart the
applications. Since job schedulers can start up a large-scale
application fairly quickly and they already use global checkpointing,
I'm not surprised that they don't really care about this. In any
case, our plans for the FT spec will allow for more capability than
the FT-MPI spec. FT-MPI is tilted towards global synchronous recovery
solutions, which will have scalability problems since every process
must participate in recovery. Our goal with the FT specification is
to allow localized recovery as well.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451