[Mpi3-ft] FT Levels of Support

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Wed Oct 29 17:39:26 CDT 2008

Hi Greg,

Aren't the second (MPI_ERRORS_FAIL_ATOMIC) and third (MPI_ERRORS_INTERACTIVE)
option pretty much the same? The extra APIs that you can call in the third
case need to be there in all cases, otherwise a code that potentially wants
to use them if the MPI implements the third option would not link. These
APIs would return "not implemented" in the first two options, i.e., they
return an error, which is the same behavior required by option 2.

In addition, I don't think it is a good idea to put things like the
piggybacking in such an optional set of functionality. Piggybacking
is a fundamental set of calls that will be used beyond just providing
FT. Hence, it should also be implemented even if the MPI does not
provide advanced FT mechanisms.

Martin