[Mpi3-ft] system-level C/R requirements

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Mon Oct 27 12:24:20 CDT 2008

I think that solution (b) can be done without
explicit coordination help from the communication
library if the only protocol we care about is
sync-and-stop. You're right though, it would be
easier if the communication library invoked the
sequential checkpointer than the other way
around. This would also take care of protocols
where we need to force checkpoints. One thing
that we'll need to be careful about is situations
where multiple communication libraries are
involved such as with hybrid MPI/OpenMP
applications. In theory it is possible to use
complex protocols at both levels of parallelism
and we need to be careful to not make some protocol combinations impossible.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451
Lawrence Livermore National Lab