[Mpi3-ft] system-level C/R requirements

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Mon Oct 27 12:06:40 CDT 2008

I'm not saying that MPI would need to be responsible for C/R.
However, it does to provide clear guarantees about its state to any
potential C/R system. As such, we can either (i) specify such
guarantees in the spec, (ii) specify a set of terms in the spec that
individual MPI implementations can use to articulate their guarantees
on a case-by-case basis or (iii) allow each MPI implementation and
C/R system work it out one-by-one as is currently done with batch
schedulers. It sounds like you're in camp (iii) or somewhere between
(ii) and (iii). To me this seems to be the only tenable position
because options (i) and (ii) would be too complicated to put into the
spec. However, if we lean towards option (iii), I don't see what we
actually need to put into the spec in order to support it.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451
Lawrence Livermore National Lab